Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Six Flags Saga

Memorial day, my wife and I joined a bunch of couples from our Church and headed off to Six Flags New England. I was extremely excited to go. Let me tell you why.

I love roller coasters. Before I moved to the Eastern side of the states, I hadn't really been on many. Disneyland had pretty much been the ultimate experience for me. In college I got to go to Six Flags in Atlanta, Georgia and I had a blast.

After being in Boston for a couple years, I had the opportunity to go to Six Flags New England for the first time last summer. I was pumped and literally screamed on every ride, and even when we were done I was so excited. My brother-in-law and father-in-law will attest to this. I was like a kid in a candy shop, running from coaster to coaster. However, there was one roller coaster that I did not ride. Which coaster you ask? Oh, only the #1 Steel Roller Coaster in America.

That's right, while I was there, Superman, the Ride of Steel, was shut down for undefined reasons. While this might scare some people off, I just kept asking if they would open it up later. They, being the park staff, gave us hope, but ultimately let us down as the ride did not open at all that day. I was a little miffed, so I went and rode Batman again, and the Cyclone wooden coaster 3 times in a row.

I wrote an email to Customer Service later that week and they were sympathetic and provided me with half price tickets and exit passes for a couple rides. I had to use them by the end of the Summer, and that opportunity presented itself a couple months later when some friends invited me. (Sadly, my wife couldn't make it that day.) Again, I was super excited, most of all because I would get to finally ride Superman.

Uh..no. Just Kidding.

The ride was closed again! It was either a terrible coincidence, or it was me, that out of the two days I pick to go that summer, it was closed both days. We were told they were waiting on a part form Europe or something. Whatever. I want to fly! I still had fun. How could you not?

The year turns and here we find ourselves in the Summer of 2008. As an end of season party for our couples small group at the church, the group organizes a trip to Six Flags. Rock on. And my wife can come this time. Awesome. I have one thing to say. Superman better show up.

And show up he did. After a year, and 2 failed attempts, Superman was open and it was the first ride I went on. It was amazing. Definitely the best roller coaster there. The first drop is at a 70 degree angle, with which you reach about 70 miles per hour in speed, and the ride doesn't let up after that. It's fast. And the curves and the ups and downs make it exciting. It doesn't loop, or corkscrew, but it doesn't matter.

My only regret is that I didn't ride it again! (I know, what was I thinking? I should have only ridden it all day!) But we were with friends, and they weren't all as excited about Superman as I was. (go figure) I doubt this is the last time I go to Six flags New England though, and I'm sure to ride Superman again. He owes me two more.

No comments: