Monday, January 14, 2008

What I do

If long ramblings about my favorite addiction over the course of my life is not to your liking, you may enjoy this shorter, more constructive post.

I have been working for a non-profit housing developer for the last two and half years now. The company finds investors to fund the building of low income housing and works with the housing authorities to manage and maintain those properties. My specific role is a property accountant for a portfolio of those properties. My current portfolio includes a few developments in Pittsburgh and a larger one in the Cincinnati area. I'm technically a financial accountant, so I don't have anything to do with taxes. Anytime I tell people I do accounting, they inevitably ask if April is a busy time for me. It isn't. January is.

My main job is to issue monthly financials on the properties' assets, liabilities, income and expenses, and then to compile it all for an audit at the end of each year. These audits, once finalized, are sent out to the investors to show them just how their investments are doing. Other than that, I also reconcile a ton of bank statements and help the properties pay their bills. So that's the job in a nutshell. I wish I could say I love what I do, but I can't. It's not a bad job and the work is never too bad, with the exception of this month in which my weeks are dotted with deadlines that I can never seem to meet. So it's back to work for me. I just didn't want to neglect the blog completely as it would be silly to start a blog and not write in it.

No comments: