Friday, June 20, 2008

Fanfare and hoop-la

Today is the first day of summer. It's a mild 75 degrees out, but that's fine by me. Looking out the window from my cubicle (yes, my cubicle is by a window, one of the most distinguishing features about it) I can see both the new John Hancock tower, the tallest one made of all mirror glass, and the old Hancock tower, which is shorter, and not nearly as pretty. But at the top of the old tower is a flag. It's white, bordered in green, and says Boston Celtics, 2008 World Champions.

For those that don't follow basketball, the Celtics took the NBA finals title earlier this week when they beat the L.A. Lakers in game 6. I personally don't enjoy basketball as much as other sports, but it's hard not to get caught up in some of the fanfare when the city you live in is quite ecstatic about all of its sports teams. The Celtics are a particularly noted for winning more titles than any other basketball franchise, this being their 17th and the first one in 22 years. I like come from behind stories, and I like to hear when a team has overcome a lot of odds. From worst to first is a phrase used liberally for the Celtics in the local papers.

As I said, I'm not really a huge fan of basketball, but the reason I write about the Celtics is because I had the unique experience to go down to Boylston street yesterday, Thursday, and watch their victory parade. Thousands of screaming Bostonians wearing Celtics jerseys and other assorted green items yelled and screamed as the players, owners, managers and extended family, all drove by on the Duck boats. I went down on my lunch break with a few co-workers and we stood on the side and cheered and enjoyed the event as much as anyone. I wasn't wearing green, but no one seemed to care.

I didn't get a chance to go down during the Red Sox parade, which I would have really loved to do, but even so, it gave me a good feeling being a part of it. I tend to be a home-body in that when I am at work, I am at my desk, and when I am home, I don't feel like going out. So to actually get out of the office and be at a parade with thousands of people was a lot of fun, and a change from my day to day monotony that is accounting.

No comments: