Monday, November 30, 2009


Teresa and I stayed put in Swannanoa this year while her parents and her dad's family came to visit. It's the first Thanksgiving since we have been married that we've gotten to spend with her family. We only left Boston for one Thanksgiving while we lived there, and that was to go to Oregon to spend it with my family. So it was a nice change of pace.

What was even a further change if pace is that no one cooked while we were there. We ate Thanksgiving dinner at Cracker Barrel, and it was very good. I'd like to thank the Andersons. I don't know why your party of six didn't show up when called, but because of you, we only had to wait five minutes for a table instead the thirty-five we were told we would wait. Thank you, and I hope you got to eat eventually. They were having a special with turkey, ham, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. It was yummy. It was served quick and hot and we didn't have to do any of the clean up!

Poor Hannah had to stay at home most of the day in the bedroom. We got her out for walks on occasion. I think she got some ham and turkey bits to make up for it. Speaking of, thank you to the Earleys who brought turkey and ham. It was delicious.

By Friday night everyone was gone. There was a whirlwind of activity at the Black Mountain house as it was decided that the 45 year old living room rug had to go, and it was ripped up, revealing the hardwood floor beneath. Furniture was arranged and an oval rug placed in the center of the room. Then everyone went home to attend to whatever weekend plans they had. Teresa and I, not being sure of what we'd be doing that weekend had not made plans, so we settled in for a relaxing couple of days.

We went out and got a Christmas tree at Ingles, the grocery store. They only had a few, but they were all pretty good quality. I think this is the biggest tree we have ever gotten. It's almost 8 ft tall, and fairly bushy. Sunday night we decorated it, so now the house feels all festive for the holidays, which is a good thing. The tree is in the living room, right behind the front door, so if you're coming to our house, be sure not to open the door too wide. I'll get a picture up soon. I took some with my phone for my Facebook page, but they aren't great pictures.

Now it's back to work for three weeks, and then a week off for Christmas!

1 comment:

Nora said...

Post pictures of the decorated tree if you can, please! It sounds like a lovely, unique and still wonderfully fun, holiday.