Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fantasy Books

I finished my last audit package last week, and all that really means is that the bulk of my busy time is done. I still have questions to respond to and items to clear up, but the deadlines are past and the clean up work is a bit less stressful. I mentioned before having some other things I wanted to do with the blog and having more time to write. I really like to write, but I know for a fact I'm not that great of a writer. It's really just for my own fun.

Growing up, I read a lot of fantasy books, and some science fiction too. I remember when I lived on a farm in Oregon, my Uncle Mike handed me a book, Dragon's Gold, by Piers Anthony and Robert Margroff, which may or may not have been the first fantasy book I read, but it's the first I remember. And it was definitely one of the first novels I read. I think I had tried to read Lord of the Rings and got mired in the middle and stopped. Anyway, after that I read a lot of Piers Anthony, the Xanth Series, and the Blue Adept series. I also read a lot from David Eddings, who at the time I really liked. I think I must have been 11 or 12 when I started. Thinking about it makes me want to pick them up and read them again.

The reason I mention all of those is because I think that early introduction to the fantasy genre is why I still love it. I enjoy fantasy books still more than others, and I love fantasy games, such as World of Warcraft, which is what I primarily play now. Those who don't play it might not realize it, but there's quite a hefty back story to World of Warcraft that has developed and evolved through the course of the original computer games (Warcraft I through III). There are wars, heroes, villains, magic, kingdoms in conflict, and as the game progresses, so does the story. So I've taken to writing stories about my character that I play in the game, usually from the first person perspective. It seemed like a natural thing to put in a blog, so I started another blog where I'll put the stories I come up with. I'll link it from here in the near future.

No comments: